Thursday 17 December 2015

Surrealism Photography


1. The message I want to portray in this photograph is that school stresses students out. It doesn't matter if it's homework, tests, or extracurricular, if  students have a lot of homework and tests to study for, it can take a huge toll on their health and wellbeing, both physically and mentally. When students are bombarded with schoolwork and other things, they might not have time to finish all of it because of personal reasons, then the teachers get them in trouble plus their marks drop. When the marks drop, so does the students self confidence, then they'll just stop trying and give up all together.
2. I actually didn't have any sketches close to my finished product, this is because a quarter of the way through, I changed my idea. I was taking pictures of my friend when I decided that I wanted to make my photo a school setting, but I couldn't think of anything related to school and social issues so I started getting really stressed because I was running out of time, then....it hit me... my topic would be schools stressing out students. So I took a picture of Angel in the hallway and got to work.  I wanted my photo to be creepy in a way so I was more focused on the physical toll that stress can take.  I looked up hot to put a cut and peeling effect on photos and found a really good video on YouTube here. I found  some images of peeling and cracking  paint and placed them on top of the picture of Angel. I proceeded to create a layer mask and selected my brush tool, I erased the parts of the picture I didn't need and matched the colour of the image to angels skin tone, making her skin look cracked, and un-moisturized. I played around with contrast and brightness until I was satisfied and created a red gradient over top of the image making it look more spooky.


3.  I learned lots of things during this project, many of them being Photoshop Techniques like, using masks, merging 2 photos together, and using the gradient tool. Even though I changed my idea im happy with how it turned out because it looks really nice and professional….in my eyes anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment